Friday, January 10, 2014

Moving Practice beyond Posture

So before when I was doing yoga, I was practicing in order to get some physical activity and relaxation out of it. Recently, it has become so much more than that.
Reading about yoga and zen lifestyle has brought me to a completely different place I feel, and I'm loving it.
Meditations from the Mat and various other books that I've read in the last months make me want to move past just the physical aspects of the yogi lifestyle and into the total spiritual practice as well.
What strikes me in a really cool way is the fact that the first two 'limbs' of yoga, the yamas and niyamas are basically the 10 commandments of yoga. Sort of like 10 commandments in the bible or whatever the heck it is. Rules to follow:
Non-violence, truthfulness, non-stealing, sexual responsibility, abstention from greed. Cleanliness, contentment, austerity, self-study, surrender to god.
These are the 5 yamas and 5 niyamas. Sounds pretty good to me :)

No comments: