Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Random thinking led me to think about death.
I'm not afraid of death.
I think that if I died tomorrow, I'd be content with the way I have lived my life.
I've appreciated the world for what it is. I've loved friends, family, animals, random people.
I've explored the minds of a variety of people.
I've gone hiking. I've gone fishing. I've gone shopping.
I've been on a hutterite colony, I've gone to the farmers market.
I've tasted delicious cheesecake, disgusting durian, chicken feet, coffee.
I've lived alone. I've lived with my family. I've stayed at hotels, condos, dorms.
I've done yoga, pilates, gone horseriding, run 10k, biked.
I've cooked, I've baked, I've eaten at restaurants.

To me, I've explored the world that I've been able to so far.
So that's why I'm not scared. Death is natural. It happens, so I don't understand why there is such a fear of it in so many others.
I remember talking to Abhishek last summer and he said he would want to live forever.
He was extremely surprised when I said I would be happy with the way I've lived if I died the next day.
He said he wanted to do more. Do research that takes longer than a lifetime. Explore more possibilities.
I think that's the difference between my take on life than others. I've adapted, in some sense, an existential way of living my life. I give meaning and passion to my life with the things I have. I know that's the way life is. It's what I can afford, it's the people I've been surrounded with, and although I can manipulate these, I'm still happy with whatever I have.
People may argue with my definition of existentialism. But to me, it means the philosophy on life in which a person is willing to live life to the fullest without a greed for more, no matter what their life holds.
I don't desire the money that others desire. I don't desire the unbelievable love story that others desire. I don't want power, or cars, or nice mansions. I don't want to be famous. I am just happy with my life. This is where I've been placed in the world. And this is where I am 100% happy being.

No comments: