Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Finding happiness

I've noticed that yoga for me is beyond the physical.
It's a way to wander into my mental world and absorb what has happened and move on.
During practice, I find that although my mind is mostly clear, it still thinks about little things that have bothered me, and I find that those things seem to disappear out of my mind after practice. Suddenly it seems insignificant and so small in comparison to the rest of the world.
It's so funny because when instructors speak about life during the class, it always seems to correlate with my life so well. But then I realize that everyone goes through the same things that I am going through. The ups and downs, although to different degrees, are experienced by each and every one of us, and through yoga, we can learn to embrace the mentality of just letting things go that are beyond our control or are in the past.
Yesterday morning, Tasha told us to ground through our feet and think about something that we needed to let go of, and to let it drain out of us through our bodies and out of our feet.
It's as simple as that sometimes to let things go.

I've noticed a change in myself. Although I was so down a few days ago, and for the last two months, I hadn't felt that great, I realize that I need to let things go. And I realize that I've had an easier time letting things go. My exam didn't go that well on Monday, and I didn't hold onto that feeling, I just let it go and moved on. But there are things that I need to let go. Like wanting to be carefree for the rest of life. That's never going to happen and I can't just run back to Cairns every time I feel overwhelmed. Things aren't going to be perfect all the time, but it's how I choose to react to the situation that determines the outcome. I can embrace and move on, or I can deny and fight. Sometimes, it's a hell of a lot easier to just accept and move on.

No comments: