Tuesday, March 22, 2011

day 19 - disrespecting your parents.

I've grown up to find that throughout my childhood/adolescence, I disrespected my parents quite a bit. I was a 'rebel'. I liked to do things to make them mad just because I could, but it just led to bad fights and I don't believe in that at all anymore. I remember one time, I told my mother that it was past her bed time and that she needed to go to bed. Oh man, was she ever mad! I will never disrespect my parents blatantly like that ever again. I realized just this year that even though I don't believe wholly in their parenting technique, that they must have done a pretty freaking good job for all their kids to turn out so well. I mean, there is emotional underlayers that need to be worked on, but for the most part, we are practically perfect in the eyes of parents. We are smart, work hard, friendly, and respect others. We don't do drugs and we would never hurt anyone intentionally. They have given us everything. Even though their salaries are far less than other families, in comparison, I feel like my family is a lot more wealthy than theirs. We treasure things other than money, like family, and friends, and arts, and music. Our income isn't based solely on money but rather on pouring all your effort into helping each other. I cannot believe that on their income, they are capable of paying for my school, my rent, my car insurance, my bills, etc. It is unbelievable. I am so happy I realized this now, because I am going to return the favor in the future when the roles are reversed and I am the adult, and they are the old fartsy kids. :)

No comments: