Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Life is a fragile thing.
In order to truly capture the moments of it, we must take care of ourselves.
We must understand the gifts that we were given.
We must understand the moments that are presented to us.
And we must ensure that we take care of the people, objects, that surround us.

I was watching a show called DISconnected on MTV tonight.
A show about a bunch of high school kids who keep in touch with each other over live video cam.
A boy killed himself while everyone watched.
Not a single person decided to rush to his home, or call the cops, or comfort him into not doing it.
They sat on the sidelines as an innocent depressed boy killed himself.
What has society come to that this is an acceptable way to deal with a troubled child?
And why did they think it was funny?

It's times like these that I'm reminded of how lucky I am.
I am not depressed. I know I have a support group of friends and family that will help me get through hard times.
And it's moments like these that remind me of how short life can be.
How with a snap of my fingers, the end of my life could be here.
And how I need to take advantage of what I have.
But then at the same time, what is life really about?
Is it about doing as much as we can, accomplishing as much as we can in such a short time?
What were we put on Earth to do? Or is there even a purpose of us being here?
I choose to believe that we are here to explore the world and to appreciate its beauty.
So starting right now, I'm going to give myself opportunities.
I'm going to hang out with some friends that I haven't made an effort to see in a while.
I'm going to try to make new friends.
And I'm going to embrace all that I can in life.

No comments: