Friday, December 2, 2011

I've just started reading a book called 'How the Rich are Destroying the Earth' by Hervé Kempf, and I haven't gotten past the forward and I already have to quote something:

People aspire to lift themselves up the social ladder, which happens through imitation of the superior class's consumption habits. Thus, the oligarchy diffuses its ideology of waste throughout the whole society.

These sentences ring true to a lot of situations that I have had the chance of observing. Something I hear almost every time I hear a group of people talking, is the phrase "I wish I were rich". Wealth is a common desire, as proven through experience, having money makes life a lot easier. But why rich? Why is it that people are so absorbed in becoming rich, that they can no longer be content in just being moderately wealthy while living life with since they can easily their basic needs and more?
Ask your basic student or middle class citizen. What would you do if you were rich? I bet you a good majority would say something to the extent of: donating a portion to charity, sharing with a few friends or family, and then the rest would be spent on material goods. Things like cars, big houses, hot tubs, luxury vacation to a tropical place, and the list goes on.
And then now ask a rich person why they need that ridiculously large mansion, or that Lambourgini. I bet you the answer doesn't begin with the idea that those objects are practical.
Too often on television, we see families of maybe 4 or 5 people living in these homes that include an outdoor pool, an entertainment room (maybe a private movie theatre), pool tables, and more. But how often do we see these families even using these facilities. More often than not, they act like decorations, and I would say a good portion of families in reality actually treat these the same way.
So why is it, then, that we put so much emphasis on these material goods? It all stems from the display of wealth being socially acceptable and also sought after. I don't mean to over generalize, but I will, when I say that people want to be rich so they can show off their wealth and not so that they can make practical use of their money.
Example: Zach's dad buys Zach a car. I convince Zach to buy the fuel efficient engine because of the environmental situation. Zach drives car home and whines to me that he is disappointed in the vehicle. That is a 30 thousand dollar vehicle that he is receiving as a gift, and he is disappointed in it. Take a moment to grasp that. Now, the reason why he is upset? The vehicle does not feel 'powerful' enough.
Yet another thing that people with wealth desire. To feel powerful.

I don't understand.

No comments: