Sunday, December 4, 2011

Oh my gosh! The art show was so much fun!
I went to the Fine Art of Schmoozy with Prof guy last night at Latitude 53 downtown.
He picked me up around 9 and we drove down to the venue.
When we got inside, I was a little bit disappointed. There wasn't any magnificent decor, or any cool party vibe, but instead, it seemed a little bit awkward. There were 3 sort of separate rooms, all with art all over the walls, free gelato, and the walls were white with dimmer lighting except on the paintings.
We checked our coats, were astonished by free champagne (which I did not have any of), and proceeded to grab a program and look at the artwork.
Before I even started to look at the art, I realized I was amongst an extremely diverse group of people.
It was really cool to see artsy fartsy kids there, super hipster kids, older aged well-versed and established men, 'normal' people, and students. It was amazing to see such a strange group of people all brought together to enjoy some fine art, hors d'ouevres, music, and the company of others. I was perfectly dressed. There were lots of people in full dresses, people in jeans, people in big plaid shirts, etc. So I fit right in! Prof guy wore chucks, dark jeans, a checkered black and white shirt, a black tie, and a sweater over top.
After about 15 minutes there, I started to settle in and feel comfortable.
The art was eccentric to say the least. Some was absolutely beautiful in a very straightforward way, while some was mesmerizing, and some was just plain weird. I particularly enjoyed 3 of them. One was a sort of abstract type of painting, by Liz Ingram. I couldn't stop looking at it.














The second was a painting of an empty living room, save an empty love seat and recliner. It drew a lot of sadness from me.
Last was a drawing of a man sitting. He was wearing a checkered shirt and jeans, and the part of him that you could see was mid-upper body to knees. It was just really pretty to look at.
Prof guy really enjoyed 2 of the pieces, and bid on them. One was a large black on black painting of a man's face, and the other was this... piece of weirdo-ness...

















Which he ended up bringing home for 150 bucks at the end of the night.
Why the night was so fun?? I met some of prof guy's old friends. Got to drink wine and look at art and feel like a girl from a movie going on a sophisticated date in New York. Had awesome conversation with Prof guy, and got to assist him in outbidding the other girl who also wanted this print.
After the show, we went to Red Star and grabbed a few drinks, talked about family and just generally got to know each other better!
He is a really cool guy. Down to earth, smart, funny, and what got me the most was that he had the opportunity to work for huge advertising companies, but turned it down to work at Grant Mac so that he could have more of a life outside of work even though he would have a significantly lower salary. It was nice to know that a 'successful' guy still chose living life to enjoy life over money.
He told me he was intrigued by me, since I seem to have my shit figured out at the young age of 21. He told me he wished he had gotten to the point in life that I am at when he was younger. He basically said I'm beyond my age in maturity and he was amazed by me and my take on life. The fact that I appreciate all that I've been given, and that I take time to do so much more in life than go to school unlike so many other people my age.

1 comment:

AN said...

Your description of the last drawing that captured your attention is like the same description as what prof guy was wearing! Heehee. I'm glad you fit in.

I laughed out loud when I read that he won that piece of art. How bizarre...

OHMYGOSH. You went to Hipster Haven with him?!?!

He sounds like one pretty cool dude. :) Pretty neat how the right kind of people cross into your life when you get going on a certain path, hey?